To venture beyond the Clyde - unless you can demonstrate considerable previous experience – we ask that the charter party on each yacht should between them hold at least one RYA coastal skipper or yachtmaster ticket, and a VHF operators licence.
If you have neither qualifications nor experience but would still like to enjoy our beautiful cruising area then that's not a problem - we will be happy to arrange skippered charter for any of these yachts!
For those who may already have their day skipper and/or other certificates but are perhaps a little daunted at the prospect of heading out on their first bareboat yacht charter, we will if you ask us when you book be happy to organise a skipper for say the first day or two of your holiday.
As another option, we are pleased to offer our unique Clyde Flotilla charter, which combines the fun of bareboat charter with the added sociability and comfort of cruising in company with other yachts. Unique, because we think Sailaway may be the only yacht charter company offering flotilla charter sailing on the west coast of Scotland.
However you do it – this is a great place to sail! We will be happy to advise you on the local cruising area and on harbours and anchorages to visit – some suggested routes are in the plan your cruise section.
Largs has great transport links, is easy to get to by road and has great local facilities.
What do our customers say?
Well, we can't guarantee the weather but otherwise we'll do our very best for you. This year 2012 was our first year an an independent charter operator and here are few of the unsolicited references we've received, so far this season:
- "Thanks again for providing such a well founded boat, would love to charter from you again." Julian Hawkings of Durham, chartered "Avocet"
- "...we had a great sail...the nicest 37 footer I have ever chartered... very nicely kitted out.... sails very well ... a remarkably fast boat. Amarilys and the Firth of Clyde - no serious sailor should miss them. Strongly recommended." Oliver Overstall of London, chartered "Amarilys"
- "... the boat was well turned out and very capable for a charter vessel (not like most ).... thanks for all your help.... we are mightily impressed with the service and the boat.... we will be back!" Chris Wainwright of Stockport, chartered "Disk Drive"
- ".... Island Air is an older boat but she is well found and the yacht is maintained to a high standard.... a huge amount of space above and below decks, and she would make an excellent passage making yacht. Despite her size she is surprisingly easy to manoeuvre.... I would be happy to charter her again”.Simon Ross, Gosforth, chartered "Island Air"
- ".... we had a great fortnight, thanks to... a comfortable easily managed yacht." Steve Scott, Kendal, chartered "Midnight Mirage"
- "Thank you again for your friendly and professional support and service that enabled our memorable sailing experience.... We wish you all the best for your charter business and will definitely consider charter a yacht again this summer." Rainer Herbert of Aberdeenshire, chartered "Avocet" - who then returned to charter her again, for another week, 3 months later!